skip navigation

Monarchs Christmas Hockey Classic: Bedford works OT, tips Trinity

12/27/2017, 10:30am EST

MANCHESTER — It took an extra period to do so, but the Bedford High School boys’ hockey team extended its unbeaten streak in the Manchester Monarchs Christmas Classic to nine games Tuesday night at JFK Coliseum.

Senior tri-captain Kyle Greer scored 33 seconds into the five-minute, four-on-four overtime to lift the Bulldogs to a 5-4 victory over Trinity of Manchester. The game-winning goal marked Greer’s second of the game.

Bedford, the two-time defending NHIAA Division I champion, went undefeated en route to winning the classic each of the last two years.

Trinity led, 4-2, entering the third period but the Bulldogs utilized a strong forecheck and a get-pucks-to-the-net mindset to force overtime.

Bedford tri-captain Zach Bayer tied the game at 4-4 with 3:50 remaining in regulation when he scored off an assist from Parker Joyce. Jack Sylvain scored on a low shot from the slot 1:09 earlier to pull the Bulldogs within one goal.

The Bulldogs outshot Trinity, 12-8, in the third period and 34-20 overall.

“It’s nice because sometimes the captains lead us and sometimes the captains have to get behind us and push the team,” Bulldogs coach Marty Myers said of the production from his captains. “And they did a little bit of both tonight. I thought they did a great job leading us.”

The Bulldogs knotted the score at 1-1 before the second period was one minute old but Trinity did not allow the deadlock to last long.

Greer tied the game when he scored 26 seconds into the middle frame but the Pioneers responded with two goals over the following three minutes.

Junior forward James Kosiarski began Trinity’s second-period scoring frenzy when he broke a 1-1 tie with a power-play goal from the left circle at the 2:01 mark of the second period. Cadin Booth, a freshman forward, built a 3-1 Pioneers lead at 3:26 of the middle stanza.

Trinity freshman Anthony Dizillo netted his second goal of the night by finding the lower left corner of the Bedford goal with 2:36 left in the period to make it 4-2 Pioneers.

Bedford junior Kambal Vaidya tucked the puck inside the left post of the Trinity goal 5:48 into the second period to cut the Pioneers’ lead to 3-2.

Pioneers coach Mike Connell was pleased with the play from some of his younger players in the contest. Trinity has 15 underclassmen on its 22-man roster.

“We have a lot of young guys and we saw a lot of great things from them,” Connell said. “Some guys that haven’t gotten some playing time got in and did a fantastic job for us. And we moved a couple guys in different positions.

“(In) the Christmas tournament, you want to win but you also want to take a look at the overall picture.”

Trinity opened the game’s scoring at the 4:39 mark when Dizillo shot through the legs of Bedford netminder Connor Laurendeau (16 saves).

Ethan Messner made 29 saves for the Pioneers.

“That’s the silver lining in today’s game — that we didn’t quit and we put a pretty good press on them late in the game,” Myers said. “I hope not to have to do that often but it’s nice to see that we have it.”

Manchester Memorial 8, Manchester Central/West 4: Manchester Memorial earned bragging rights over city rival Manchester Central/West.

The Crusaders broke a 1-1 tie by erupting for five goals in the second period.

Memorial forward Rickie Beauparlant, who finished with a hat trick, registered two goals and an assist in the middle frame. The junior broke the 1-1 tie 33 seconds into the second period and built a 5-1 Crusaders lead when he scored with 34.4 seconds left in the stanza. Beauparlant also assisted on Patrick Goren’s shorthanded goal at the 3:14 mark of the second that built a 3-1 Memorial lead.

Freshmen Kenny McIntyre (power play) and Justin Russell also scored second-period goals for Memorial. 

Beauparlant completed the hat-trick performance when he scored 1:12 into the third period to give Memorial a 7-2 lead. 

Goren’s second goal of the game, which came with 4:15 remaining, capped the Crusaders’ scoring.

Memorial’s Jared Chandonnet opened the game’s scoring with his power-play goal at the 5:34 mark. Central/West tied the game at 1-1 with 2:31 left in the opening period when Sam Hebert beat Crusaders goaltender Chuck Degust (32 saves) with a low shot in front.

Hebert, a senior, finished with a hat trick and his younger brother, Will, a sophomore, also scored for Central/West. Jordan Lamarre and Adam Richardson combined for 16 saves for Central/West.

“I think our top line played well,” Memorial coach Mark Putney said. “(It’s) our first win of the season so we’re excited about that and hopefully it carries over (today).”

Hanover 6, Bow 2: Hanover scored twice in each period en route to the win.

Cameron Woods and Charlie Plottner each logged a goal and an assist for the Marauders. Teammates Sam Seelig, David Lehmann, Hans Williams and Braxton McNulty all logged a goal. Elias Zinman had two assists and Harris LaRock made 11 saves for Hanover.

Brothers Ryan and Ben Tobeler each registered a goal and an assist for Bow. Jason Howe made 37 saves for the Falcons.

Concord 6, Goffstown 1: Two goals from junior Derek Kelleher helped lead the Crimson Tide to victory.

Kelleher built a 2-0 Concord lead when he scored 5:27 into the game. His second goal, which came with one minute remaining in the second period, built a 5-1 Crimson Tide advantage.

Liam O’Brien, Evan Makris, Kyle McKinnon and Colin Kastle also scored for Concord. Devin Philbrick registered two assists and Spencer Burgess made 14 saves for the Crimson Tide.

Goffstown forward Sebastian Beal scored off assists from Noah Charron and Griffin Cook with one minute remaining in the opening period. 

Kyle LaSella, Ethan Smith and Madeline Sage combined for 14 saves for the Grizzlies.

Tag(s): Home